PERFORMER PROFILE: Ash Bozarth

Isabella Young
Ash Bozarth ‘25 plays his violin

Violinist Ash Bozarth ‘25 is all about the familial atmosphere orchestra creates for him and other musicians at City High.

“I love playing with a group of people. I think that playing music alone can be really fun, but when you’re with a group of people, the energy gets higher and it’s just more compelling and interesting to play with other people,” Bozarth said.

Bozarth’s initial desire to start violin came very early, specifically when pretending to play the violin with chopsticks.

“I started playing the violin when I was four, and I started playing because for some reason I got really obsessed with the violin. I kept begging my parents to let me learn how to play the violin and after that, I started getting lessons and learned how to play,” Bozarth recounted.

One of Bozarth’s biggest inspirations is Kishi Bashi, an American violinist who’s best known for being an multi-instrumentalist who, as Bozarth says it, plays more than just classical music and incorporates different experimental techniques with the violin. This is why Bozarth was looking forward to this year’s orchestra Dessert Concert, as it deviated from the typical classical sound you hear in orchestra.

“I’m definitely excited about performing at the Dessert Concert and looking forward to playing some rock music,” Bozarth said.

With how adamant Bozarth’s views on trying different techniques regarding orchestra are, one might think that his one favorite moments was somewhat related to that love. However, it’s quite the opposite when it comes to Bozarth’s favorite moment in City orchestra.

“Last year, we were playing Phantom of the Opera in Symphony Orchestra and when we were practicing it we were playing it really well. Then, I fainted and had to be carried into the other room to be laid down on the couch. I thought it was really funny that that happened while we were playing such a dramatic piece. Like, it wasn’t intentional, but looking back on it, it was funny,” Bozarth said.

Bozarth’s reaction to this scary moment was somewhat unexpected and instead he found it genuinely funny reflecting on the moment. Disregarding moments similar to those, Bozarth still consistently works at the violin and intends to keep playing throughout his life, something most high school musicians don’t plan on doing after high school. As well as taking great pride in his work.

“I’m probably most proud of some of my solo pieces that I’ve worked on a lot. I worked on Czardas a lot, and I like to think I got pretty good at it. I really like doing solo pieces and really picking them apart and getting them down really well,” Bozarth said.

City High’s orchestra environment allows for Bozarth to grow as a musician, form close bonds, and make memories that will last a lifetime.

“We’re kind of like, you know, an orchestra family. It’s different between orchestra kids and band kids because I think City’s band kids are more like, tight knit, but orchestra kids are more alike. We kind of do our own thing, but together, and I enjoy it,” Bozarth said.