IN BETWEEN THE LINES: Jack Dancer

Jack Dancer is a junior captain who has started every game in his City High career.
Dancer watches action from the back line
Ellie Eisenberg

Jack Dancer ‘25 is a junior soccer player at City High who has been a varsity starter since his freshman year. 

This year Dancer is playing a new position. He moved from the back line to the midfield and is playing defensive midfielder. Dancer started the season strong in City’s first game against Marshalltown with two goals. Dancer has four total goals and one assist including his stats from scrimmages this season.

Dancers Coach, Jose Fajardo thinks highly of Jack and sees him as a leader on the team.

“Jack is one of those people and players every coach wants to have on his team. He leads by example and with actions on and off the field,” Fajardo said.

Jack was always drawn to soccer growing up as his brother was a former City High soccer player.

“Just being around the game my whole life and watching my brother play growing up was probably the biggest motivator to play soccer for me,” Dancer said.

Having a brother who played soccer growing up not only serves as an example for Dancer, but also a motivator.

“Jack comes with the pressure of having had an older brother (Jonah Dancer) that was very successful at City High and in college and now playing semi-professionally, so this adds pressure to be just like that old brother or dad,” Fajardo said.

Dancer’s brother isn’t his only inspiration to play soccer as Dancer says soccer gives him an escape from all the outside distractions and noise. 

“It doesn’t matter what’s going on outside in the world, when I’m playing and the game is all I have to think about,” Dancer said.

Dancer plays club soccer year-round, but springtime is the most important time for him as that is when City’s season is. Dancer’s sophomore season came to a sad end as the team lost in the sub-state final to Cedar Rapids Kennedy 

“It was a tough loss, and it sucks to see the seniors go,” Dancer said. 

Dancer does have something to take away from his sophomore season, though, as he made first-team All-Conference. City High soccer is young so they have many returning players and are hoping for a strong season, and Dancer himself has high aspirations for this upcoming season 

“I want to have 15 goal contributions this year,” Dancer said.

As for Coach Fajardo’s expectations for Jack, he is just excited to see Jack progress on his soccer journey.

“I am excited for Jack’s present, near future and far future and I know he will give us so many happy days at City High,” Fajardo said.