Kate Meis
Kate Meis
Executive Editor and News Co-Editor

PLAYMAKER PROFILE: Jeremiah Madlock

Madlock is both a football and track athlete

Jeremiah Madlock ‘24 is a senior who is currently committed to play football at Quincy University. This spring he is now preparing for his final season of track. 

“My mom ran track at Loras [College] so being around the sport my whole life has always been important to me and her,” Madlock said.

Madlock began his senior season with a victory in the high jump at the Dickinson Relays Indoor State Track Meet in Cedar Falls where he managed to outdo himself jumping a personal best of 1.2 meters. And last year Madlock ran in three events at the State Tournament where City High placed second as a team. 

“He is going to be an important piece for us in the 4×200 and 4×400 relays this year,” Track Head Coach Mike Moore said about Madlock. “He should without a doubt be one of the top performers in MVC and state.” 

Though City did not win the State Meet last year as a team, they did place in the top three and set record times in multiple events at the meet. This year the Little Hawks hope to place even higher at State and finish what they started even with the significant losses of some important seniors.

“We came up short last year which was disappointing because of how talented we were but now that this is my last go I don’t want to relive that moment,” Madlock said.

However, Madlock is confident that the Little Hawks can kick their State woes. 

“We don’t plan on coming up short again,” Madlock said.

As a senior, Madlock is looked to for leadership and stability on the team during this year’s season.

“Jeremiah is one of our veterans who scored points in last year’s State Meet. He has a contagious personality and has truly grown as leader of this team over the span of his career here at City High,” said Coach Moore.

As big of a piece as Madlock is on the track team, he is equally as productive on the gridiron where he racked up 34 catches for 755 receiving yards and six touchdowns. He averaged 22.6 yards per catch which was the top distance in the state of Iowa. He was a key part of the Little Hawk’s football season this year and is looking to replicate his success at the college level. Madlock made the transition to fully starting on offense his senior season which saw him stop playing Defensive Back and focus all in on the offensive side of the ball.

“Jeremiah is the kind of kid who can excel at anything he focuses and puts his mind on,” City High Football Head Coach Mitch Moore said when asked about how he felt Madlock balanced both football and track this year.

When asked the question of which sport Madlock wanted to play collegiately Jeremiah was keen on keeping his options open when looking for his next step, as he is passionate about both sports he plays. It was just a matter of who reached out first.

“I love track and football,” Madlock said of his process choosing what sport to play in college, “I was just fortunate to get a better opportunity and offer to play football.”