This Week in City High Sports: Week of May 5

Kaeding Eland
Brendan Lestina ‘25 plays in a singles match

Boys’ Soccer

After starting the season 8-0 and ranked #1 in Class 4A, the boys team have put themselves in a great position to finally break their State Tournament appearance drought. The Little Hawks come into this week with two matches which are split away followed by home. The boys’ side are led by junior Captains Jack Dancer and Jackson Lindsey ‘25 and have been a balanced team overall, seeing appearances from multiple different players including both returning varsity players and newly added additions and call ups. Freshmen Forwards Seth Zeithamel and Taylor Salinas ‘27 have exceeded expectations by earning starting spots. With a 9-1 start to the season, the Little Hawks are in a very good position and will need to look ahead and focus on Substate games.

Girls’ Soccer

The 8-2 girls are coming into this week with a big workload to carry. The Little Hawks will play four games in the span of 5 days including their toughest opponent up to par this week on Saturday against 9-3 Bettendorf. The girls are a heavily senior-led team led by the team’s two leading goal scorers Maclayne Menzel and Ava Bell ‘24. But stats don’t tell the whole story for this team. Without the presence of seniors Aoife Boulter, Kaitlyn Brown, Claire Loria, and Mia Larson ‘24, who have been featured in almost every minute of every game, this team would not be the same. With rankings and seeding for substate coming down to the wire, the girls have all to play for.

Boys’ Tennis

The Boys’ Tennis Team heads into this week looking for a spark, as they’ve lost four matches in a row. The team has a meet on Wednesday of this week for which they will travel to Norwalk Middle School. This meet is District Singles and Doubles and consists of teams like Ankeny and Indianola.

Girls’ Tennis

The Girls Tennis team has split their last two matches with one loss and one win. The team will travel to West High on Monday to compete in a Singles and Doubles meet. The meet starts at 9 AM.

Track

The Boys’ and Girls’ Track Teams have a meet on Thursday, May 9, this week. The meet will take place here at City and will start at 4 PM. The Boys are coming off a 4th place finish in their last meet, and the Girls a 3rd. Both teams will be looking for better times and an elusive top-2 finish.