The student news site of Iowa City High School.

The Little Hawk

Filed under OPINION

The Problem With Relationships In Entertainment

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






One of the biggest problems with romance movies/TV is that even though the relationship can look good, it’s not real. Sorry to break it to you, but ‘Fifty Shades’ is fake. Those films are only meant to appeal to people who fantasize about that stuff.

Ever see ‘(500) Days of Summer? No? I’m not that surprised. It’s not the best movie to watch with your date on your one-month anniversary, because it focuses on what a real life dating relationship is like.

The film follows a man named Tom Hansen (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) dealing with the breakup from his former girlfriend, Summer (Zooey Deschanel). Viewers get to see the stages of how Tom deals with separating from Summer and how grueling it can truly be. Having just gone through a breakup a month ago, I can relate to how Tom reacts in the movie. It’s not an easy process. The fact of knowing that you used to be close to a person, but aren’t anymore isn’t a fun thought. 

One minute you’re listening to She’s Like The Wind by Patrick Swayze and the next you’re on a bus screaming you hate that song.

I’ve seen enough films to know that when there’s a separation, the guy is portrayed as “the one who moves on quickly”. (Maybe that’s like 43% true, but the other 57% is just a terrible process). Most of the time entertainment mainly focuses on the female’s story.

That’s one of the things that the movie does best: it shows it from the guy’s point of view. Seeing it from the other point of view can be refreshing because people can see how the other sex deals with the process.

It’s sad because people believe that those kinds of relationships are true, and when the real thing actually happens, they don’t always know how to deal with it correctly. Hopefully in the future, there will be more forms of entertainment that can create a real fake relationship.

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




The student news site of Iowa City High School.
The Problem With Relationships In Entertainment