Eight Athletes Sign Letters of Intent

Annika Wasson

The commons filled with students, families and coaches Wednesday afternoon as eight City High student-athletes committed to various colleges on National Signing Day.  Peyton Koenig ’14, Quinton Forrester ’14, Mitch Wieland ’14, Xavier Washpun ’14, Randy Gipson ’14, Ivan Diaz ’14, Drew Cornwell ’14 and Jake Leohr ’14 signed letters of intent to continue their sports careers along with many other athletes around the nation.

At the ceremony athletic director Terry Coleman highlighted each athlete’s accomplishments throughout their careers at City High.  Following Coleman’s speech each coach shared a few words about their students.  To conclude the program each athlete talked about their experiences at City High before signing their letters of intent.

Koenig signed to attend Muscatine Community College to play softball.  Forrester will be attending Johnson County Community College to play baseball with former City High student Sam Mrstik ’13.

Four of the eight athletes committed to Ellsworth Community College to play football next fall.  Wieland, Washpun, Diaz and Gipson, who were all key members of the 8-3 football team this year, will continue to play together in the next phase of their careers.

Four year starting kicker, Cornwell, also committed to continue his football career by signing to play with Concordia University.  He says the campus feel helped him make his decision.

“I chose Concordia mainly because there are a lot of great opportunities for me after I graduate and their smaller campus appealed to me,” Cornwell said during his speech.

The final member of the football team to sign Wednesday afternoon was Leohr who will be playing Division I football at the University of South Dakota.  Following the ceremony Leohr gave some advice to young aspiring athletes.

“Do everything you can to make yourself better, as a person and as an athlete,” Leohr said. “After the season’s over, it’s gone forever.  You have to do everything you can to succeed.”