Little Hawks Take On Pleasant Valley In Regional Final

Micah Cabbage, Social Media Editor/Reporter

Coming off of their 75-21 victory over Clinton in the regional semifinal on February 22nd, the undefeated City High women’s basketball team looks to have a repeat outcome against Pleasant Valley (15-7) tonight at 7:30 pm at Iowa City West High School.

The team will have to face the possibility of a stronger offense, which will force them to step up their defensive intensity.

“Honestly, it will be a lot about defense tonight. We’ll have to be able to create turnovers and make them feel uncomfortable so they’ll take rush shots, “ team captain Haley Lorenzen ’14 said. “They’re not as tall but that doesn’t mean we can assume that we’ll get every rebound.”

In the past, Lorenzen has been double or even triple-teamed so the likelihood of this happening again tonight is high. If this is to happen again, other key members of the Little Hawk offense led by senior Kiera Washpun, who is leading the region with 25.0 points per game, and sophomore Courtney Joens.

“They (my teammates) just have to keep doing what they’ve been doing. Kiera’s been attacking the basket really well and shooting better on the outside too, same with Courtney,” Lorenzen said. “They need to cut to the basket and try to make the easiest shot.”

The Little Hawks are familiar with playing games with such high stakes, as they have played in the regional final game for the past two years.

The winner of tonight’s game will advance to the state tournament next week at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA.