Licorice Pizza Receives Best Picture Nomination

Paul Thomas Anderson’s new film puts the classic coming-of-age story into 1970s San Fernando Valley

Rachel Johnson, Broadcast Journalist

Licorice Pizza was officially released on Christmas Day 2021, following a limited November release to select theaters in New York and Los Angeles. The film was praised for its humor and the performances of newcomers Alana Haim and Cooper Hoffman. It was nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Original Screenplay at the Oscars. 

The new movie was the film debut for both leads. Alana Haim, of indie-rock band Haim, plays Alana Kane, a frustrated 25-year-old trying to find herself. Cooper Hoffman, son of renowned actor Phillip Seymour Hoffman, plays Gary Valentine, a 15-year-old child actor, and entrepreneur. When the two meet at Gary’s high school, they quickly grow close and spend most of their time together. However, the portrayal of a relationship with a large age gap sparked plenty of controversy and negative reviews. We watch as the two-run around 1970s California and deny their feelings for each other.

This setting makes the movie feel like a warm daydream. The soundtrack only enhances the feeling, which features David Bowie, Nina Simone, Sonny, and Cher, and an original score by Radiohead’s Johnny Greenwood. The film is also visually stunning. Writer/Director Paul Thomas Anderson is also the cinematographer, resulting in visuals that perfectly match the movie’s plot.

Overall, Licorice Pizza, while not flawless, is one of my favorite movies to come out in 2021. Whether you come for the ‘70s California aesthetic, the phenomenal soundtrack, or the memorable references and snappy dialogue, the movie is worth seeing before the Oscars.