World Language Students Participate in Cooking Contest

French, Spanish and German students got together today after school to compete in the first World Language Cooking Competition. Students were encouraged to cook authentic dishes from their country of choice, preferably that of the class they were taking.

“I’m a regular member of German club, and I heard about this contest.” Anes Kapo ’15 said. “This seemed like an easy and fun thing to do.” Kapo and a few of his friends made a special type of apple cider that included orange peels.

“I promised my cousin donnie, on his deathbed, that I would reach out to the community,” Roldan Navarette ’13 said. “That’s why I’m doing this.” Navarette baked brownies, cookies, and crescent rolls with friend Omar Martinez ’13.

Frau Wilmesmeier, who planned the event along with Monseur Balcaen, started the contest at the request of her students.

“The students in German club were interested in doing a baking event, so we started this up,” Wilmesmeier said. “We then decided to bring in the other foreign languages so that we could experience other cultures.”

More traditional dishes were made by other students, including bratwurst, crepes, and a type of german cookie. Wilmesmeir and Balcean plan to continue the contest, as they believe it’s a good way to immerse students in a different culture.

“I love watching these kids make traditional dishes, and I plan to keep hosting this event as long as people continue to show,” Wilmesmeier said.