Grace Kirschling
Grace Kirschling
Broadcast Editor and Social Media Co-Editor

Bates to get new bleachers, later sky box

City High bleachers as of May 10th. Construction should be completed by August. Photo by Jacob Simmons.

By Jacob Simmons
Little Hawk Staff Reporter

CLICK HERE TO VIEW SLIDE SHOW

When City High students return for the 2010-’11 school year, the way they watch football games, track meets, the marching band, and many other activities on the football field will be seen in a whole new way.

Walking down to the track it can be seen that the home team bleachers have all ready been removed. Construction of the new benches will begin in June.

The new benches and other various improvements for the track will cost $680,000. Construction should be completed in August, just in time for the football season to begin.

“The new benches will be made of all aluminum and will hold 300 more people than before,” said assistant principal Terry Coleman. “Our hope is that the nice new clean bleachers will make watching any outdoor activity more enjoyable to watch.”

The current bleachers are over 60 years old and were most recently redone in 1946.

“The bleachers are 20 years overdue and it is a great time to redo the stands and bring it up to date,” said Coleman. “The school is also wanting to redo the bathrooms and the sky box, but to do this the school will need to have a private fundraiser. [We] can hopefully fix up the restrooms and sky box by the next summer.”