Lili Moessner
Lili Moessner
Yearbook Editor

The “Battle of The Boot” Preview

By Little Hawk Sports Team

City-West Key Matchups

The 2010 highly anticipated City-West football game features several intriguing matchups at Trojan Field for the annual Battle for the Boot.
QUARTERBACKS
The quarterback comparison of City’s Andrew McNulty ‘11 and West’s Charles Rogers 12’ should be pivotal in each team’s success. McNulty, who is off to a tremendous start, leads the balanced Little Hawk offense. His strong arm and new-found scrambling threat make City a dangerous and potent offensive unit.
Rogers, however, gives West a different edge. His breakaway speed gives the junior a healthy amount of respect in the pocket, and has progressed with his passing ability. Rogers has recieved scholarship offers from around the country including Ohio State.
WIDE RECEIVERS
Assisting McNulty will be wide receivers Connor Alberhasky 11’ and Jeremy Johnson 12’. Alberhasky and Johnson proved in the last two games that the talent at wide reciever is not gone. Look for the Little Hawks to have big receptions in the West Highs secondary.
West High receiving unit is young and fast. If Rogers doesn’t have the scrambling opportunity, he may have receivers open.

OFFENSIVE LINE
One factor that should separate the two squads is the play of the offensive line. City returns a veteran group, with last year’s O-Line staples of Dan Minchk 11’ and Nick Beckman 11’. Other key blockers include Aaron Johnson 11’, Cody Donnelly 11’, and Brad Gingerich 11’,  who should give McNulty needed time in the pocket.

One of West High’s weaknesses is their youth on the line.  City High’s offensive line will create holes for the running game.
DEFENSE
The Little Hawks have proven to play strong defense with their tough Smashmouth style. Linebackers Adam Prybil ‘11 and Todd Turner ‘11 have made plays from sideline to sideline and will work to contain Rogers.

West High’s defense is young and inexperienced. The Trojans play very aggressively and can give up the big play. At  linebacker Anthony Brown can make big plays.

Watch for Amos Lavela ‘13 and Hector Martinez ‘11 to also make huge plays to shut down the West High spread offense. They are set up to have huge plays for the Little Hawks.

The game is scheduled to start at 7:15 p.m. this Friday at West High School.