Dominic Roe
Dominic Roe
Reporter

Wrestlers Stay Strong After Accident

By Michael Hunter

On Highway 218 South, the junior varsity wrestling team was heading towards the New London Invitational. As the team was approaching New London, the bus hit black ice causing the bus to lose control.

“The bus driver told us to hold on,” said Daquay Campbell ‘12. “I thought she was turning but then the bus began to roll.”

The bus had hit the median and said to roll over three times before coming to a stop on its side. Passengers were dis logged from their seats and thrown around the bus.

“It was scary because some guys were sleeping when the bus crashed,” said Campbell. “They were lying on each other and not moving,” said Campbell.

Assistant coach Richard Kunc carried injured wrestlers out of the bus until paramedics arrived. Kunc found out at the hospital that he had fractured his ribs. Seven wrestlers and the bus driver sustained injuries from the accident.

Passengers were transferred to University of Iowa Hospital and Mercy hospital for x-rays and treatment. X-rays revealed that one of injured wrestlers, Kennan Johnson ‘11 had chipped his vertebrae and broken his neck. Johnson has been released from the hospital and plans to return to school soon.

“Everyone will be okay,” said Colin Donnelly. “We tried to laugh it off.”