Swimming: State Title In Reach

by Michael Hunter

The fifth ranked boys swimming team’s undefeated streak of 11 will be tested when they travel to Marshalltown for the state tournament.
“Our goal is to get top three at state,” said Harris Thompson ‘11 who competes in the 200 I.M. “My goal individually is to make it there.”
City High finished ninth last year with small numbers but looks to be one of the contenders for the state title this year. Its varsity squad will return to districts this year with even more expierence then last year. The 400 Freestyle Relay of McAllister, McMillin,Weideman and Herting  is currently ranked second in the state.
“This year we have stronger, older and mentally stronger swimmers.” said  head coach John Burkle.
One of these swimmers is two-time and defending 500 free state champion Cam Herting. Herting won the 500 free last February with a time of 4:35.42, two seconds faster than the runner up.
“We have many goals for state,” said John Burkle. “For Cam Herting to become a three time state champion in the 500 free is one of them.”
Also returning from last year’s squad is Colin McCallister 11’. McCallister finished fifth last year in the 500 Free and broke the 29 year old 500 Free record with a time of 4:42.39 at the MVC Super Meet hosted at Mercer. McAllister is currently ranked third in the 200 Free.
“For Colin to take the 200 Free title is another goal,” said Burkle. “We just want as many guys on the podium as we can so we can get a top three finish.”
City High finished second at the Mississippi Valley Conference Super Meet held at Mercer. Cedar Falls won the meet.
For now the team will continue practicing morning and after school until their tough district meet with Cedar Rapids Washington, who has won the district for the last 47 years.