Eight Swimmers going to State in Marshalltown

Ben Weideman takes a breath on his way to second place in the 100 fly finishing with a time of 55.8.

This past weekend in Cedar Rapids Washington, the City High boys swim team placed second at the district meet, just behind Cedar Rapids Washington.

“We would have liked to beat them,” Ben Weideman ‘11 said. “but it’s only a district meet, our real goal was to get as many swimmers to state as possible.”

This meet was the deciding factor to qualify for next week’s State meet in Marshalltown. Eight City High swimmers qualified for the State meet. Cam Herting won the 500 freestyle with a time of 4:42:05, Collin McAllister won the 200 free, Sid McMillin won the 100 freestyle and the team of Herting, McAllister, McMillin, and Davis won the 400 freestyle relay.

“We didn’t rest for this meet,” Collin McAllister ‘11 said. “for state we will be rested and have a chance to go faster.”
Cedar Rapids Washington got their 48th consecutive win at the district meet, but City High swimmers will not let that bring them down. State will be the last meet for the senior swimmers.
“After State is over i’ll probably cry,” Herting said. “And I will shave my head.”
“Yea,” agreed Harris Thompson ‘13, “I’ll cry like a baby.”