Estelle Hartz
Estelle Hartz
Assistant A&E Editor

Football Attempts to Break Regular Season Win Record and Keep The Boot

City High raises the boot after last years victory

By Kris Kindl

City High raises the boot after a victory last year

City High’s No. 2 ranked Smashmouth football go against the No. 9 ranked Run-n-Gun West High Trojans.

With a win tonight The Little Hawks attempt to take the all time win-streak of 30 straight regular season wins. Coincidentally the record holder at this time is West High. The Little Hawks currently have tied the record with 30 wins. A win over West will break the record with 31 wins.

This week is the battle of the boot. For the past six years the boot has remained in the gym foyer of City High School.

“They’re an athletic team with a lot of athletic players, but they can be cocky at times,” Jasper Washington ‘12 said.

Coming into the game, this season, Jasper Washington over 120 yards passing with a 50% completion percentage, and 170 yards on the ground with a total of three touchdowns. Ronald Thompson has over 260 yards rushing and four touchdowns. Amos Lavela has over 100 yards and two touchdowns rushing.

The Little Hawks haven’t passed much this year, but Jeremy Johnson has six receptions for 127 yards. The Little Hawks have a total of 873 yards of total offense with 10 touchdowns

For the Trojans this season, Charlie Rogers has over 250 yards passing with a completions percentage of 62.1% and four touchdowns passing. Rogers also has a total of 170 yards rushing for 3 touchdowns. Mondo Williams and Anthony Brown also have over 170 yards rushing combined. Their standout reciever Dondre Alexander has 9 receptions for 148 yards. West high has a total of 834 yards and 11 touchdowns

“They’re a fast team and they have speed. They like to go east and west, But they’re an undisciplined team. We’re more of a smash-mouth ‘run it up the gut’ kind of team,” Washington ‘12 said.

This will definitely be a competition of the offenses. Both teams have explosive offenses but in different ways. West likes to pass and run to the perimeter, City is know for running hard-nosed up the gut hammering the ball every play.

On defense the Trojans have 134 total tackles and 3 solo sacks on the season. The Little Hawks have 114 total tackles and 4 solo sacks on the season.

“This is probably one of the most important games this season for us besides for the playoffs, But we have to take it week-by-week,” Washington ‘12 said.