Free Car Wash to Support City Music

On September 30th, the Music Auxiliary will be sponsoring a free car wash at Kirkwood Community College

Danielle Tang

The proceeds from the car wash will go to benefit CIty’s music programs, such as the Choir Department, pictured here.

Julia Powers, Reporter

To help raise funds for the Iowa City Community School District music programs students from 7th to 12 grade will be scrubbing cars. The car wash is the biggest fundraiser of the year for the music programs, and brought in about $29,000 last year.

“Directors and students in all of the music programs contribute and work the car wash,” Megan Stucky, orchestra director, said. “We work as hard as we can for that day to wash as many cars and to raise as much money as possible.”

Along with the car wash, there is a pledge sheet. People can pledge about a quarter a car and the programs will also get funding that way.

“The Music Auxiliary [car wash] is really important,” Jessica Sheffield ‘18 said. “Not only is it fun, it’s something that the music program really needs because it benefits all of the schools.”

The money that the car wash raises gets split evenly between all of the schools in the Iowa City Community School District.

“Last year when I did it, it was really nice and warm,” said Rebekah Murry ‘20. “[And] you can sign up with your friends if you want to.”

This year the car wash is a bit on the cooler side, being in the high 60s and low 70s. The car wash will be from 9:00 to 4:30. “I think it’s a really easy and fun way to raise money for something important,” Sheffield said.