Curling Slides into City High

Sam Myers-Verhage, Reporter

In the past, City High students have not taken a significant interest in the sport. However, curling has taken ahold among City High students this year in 2019. 

Curling is an Olympic sport that is most popular in northern countries, such as Canada, Norway, Sweden, and the United States. The sport is designed in a way that uses not just strength from the athletes who compete, but uses physics as well. 

The goal of the sport is for two teams, four athletes each, to slide a stone on the ice into the ‘house’ or center of the bullseye at the other side of the arena. The goal is a pattern on the ice that is four circles in the shape of a target, with more points awarded to the team closest to the center. 

When the stone is slid by one of the players, two other players sweep in front of the stone while it travels towards the goal. The sport is played by ten rounds, and the objective is to get as many points as possible.

City High students have caught onto the sport, and have increased interest in it exponentially starting this year. When interviewing students, the enthusiasm for curling is visible. 

“Curling is a sport that uses a lot of useful skills like hand eye coordination and teamwork,” Sam Stratharan ’21.

Yet students don’t just show interest in the sport of curling, but also want to see it at City High.

“If enough students show interest, I think it is possible that it will be implemented,” says Phong Nguyen, ‘20. 

Curling has been introduced into City High. Students have voiced their opinions on the rising popularity of the sport, and wish to see it implemented at Iowa City High School. 

Curling is a sport that has gone mildly unnoticed at City High for years. However, the future is split for curling at City High.