The Hideaway: An Iowa City hideaway

The Hideaway: An Iowa City hideaway

Tucked back in behind The Vine, there is a restaurant not known to many. A tavern and grill with a local flare, the Hideaway is a fairly new restaurant that has changed hands many times in the past.

The Hideaway serves up delicious cheeseburgers topped with cheese from a local dairy farm. They offer very scrumptious floats using specialty sodas from a local brewery. And for those of you over the legal age, the Hideaway only serves up brews from local breweries. The Hideaway helps other local businesses by using their products in their food and drinks, which really helps separate them from every other food joint in “the big IC”.

One of my favorites, is the pulled pork sandwich. The pork is dry seasoned with a bit of a kick and plopped onto a freshly baked bun, and is topped with coleslaw. Coarsely chopped red cabbage tossed in some sort of purple goodness, it isn’t your typical coleslaw. The sandwich is served with a side of house-made BBQ sauce. Serve that up with a side of their delicious tater-tots or sweet potato fries, and your good to go.

The Hideaway’s wings are to die for. Seven different sauces and big meaty drumsticks and thigh-pieces, they beat out several Iowa City wing staples for best wings in town, in my opinion.

From $6 burgers and fries on Mondays, $6 for anything on the menu for the day on Wednesdays, to $5-a-dozen bone-in wings on Thursdays, any day of the week you’re going to get a steal for, in my opinion, some of the most delicious food, all-around, on the east side of Iowa City.

If you haven’t tried the Hideaway, I triple-dog dare you. But don’t worry, you won’t be disappointed. The Hideaway is located right behind the Vine, in downtown Iowa City, at 310 East Prentiss St. and opens at 11am daily.