Film Fest 2012 preview

Film Fest 2012 preview
Class clowns and future filmmakers all gather together in front of the silver screen for one night only– the annual CHS Film Fest.
“I’m very excited for this year’s event, we have a ton more submissions this year,” Art Teacher Mrs. Harper said.
Mrs. Harper is the sponsor of Art Club at CHS, which organizes and hosts the event, in addition to judging the films.
“With all of this year’s submissions, Art club will have to spend a long time judging,” Harper said.
Exactly 14 films have been submitted this year, with genres ranging from horror to romantic comedy.  Among the several filmmakers is Sage Behr ‘12, who is submitting a film fest movie for the first time.
“It’s a romantic comedy about an awkward high school romance, it’s semi-autobiographical,” Behr said.”  The cast of the movie includes Juniors Sam Buatti, Alex Perez and David Maize, in addition to Behr herself.
“I love the cast with all my heart,” Behr said.  “I’d say that Alex Perez is the strong point; she would charm anyone.”
While Behr is submitting a romantic comedy, Senior John Law is submitting a film with different intent, a batman-themed action movie.
“Basically Joker found a military steroid that he wants to put in his henchmen” Law said.  “The drug will make them huge and scary and Batman needs to stop it.”
Joker will be played by Senior Dwight Donahue while Batman will be played by Law himself.  A trailer was released recently that shows the interaction of the characters, and the apparent high-quality of production that went into making the movie.
“The filmmaking process was very difficult and enduring, but the final product is gonna be really good,” Law said.  Law believes that the conclusion of the movie is what makes it so special.
“The grand finale will blow you away, it blew me away and I made it,” Law said.
Before the films are shown to the public, the art club must judge them carefully and decide which films will make it to the big screen.
“We all vote on categories like Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Cinematography,” Harper said.  Students can get involved in the voting process through the People’s Choice award, which goes to the audience’s favorite movie.
“There is also the Costume Contest which is really fun,” Harper said.  “The award is given to the student with the best costume, and some of them are ridiculous.”
The event will take place on April 27th in Opstad Auditorium.  The doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the show will begin promptly at 7 p.m.
“I’m excited to wear my prom dress from last year,” Behr said.
“I can’t wait to see the range of films that students put into film fest,” Law said.