Alternatives to Spring Sports

By Sonali Durham and Abby Dickon

alternatives to spring sports art
Alex Kieser ’15 and Sydney McMurry ’15 work on a group project in art class. Photo by Sonali Durham.

Spring sports are very popular here at City High. In 2012, almost a quarter of students were participants in a spring sports. However, there are other groups of students who fill their days with other activities. They spend their time in clubs, with friends, or exercising independently. For some of them, there just isn’t time for organized sports.

“I think part of the reason that I didn’t want to have a busy spring is because I was so busy in the fall with applying to colleges, and cross country, and Interact,” Liliana Coelho ‘13 said.  “I wanted a little bit of a break to just enjoy things.”

Another student, Bryan Nunez ‘13, dislikes the intense atmosphere of City sports.

“I prefer playing for fun,” Nunez said. “I’d rather do freestyle sports than competitive, extreme [sports].”

For other students, it’s a question of time and previous commitments.

“I just have other things to do,” Tyler Harapat ‘14 said. “I like to hang out with my friends, and I work alot too.”

Nunez agreed. “I go home and help around the house, or work. I don’t have the time [for sports].”

These students find their own ways to stay busy and active without spring sports.

Other students don’t participate in spring sports because they are in fall or winter sports, and don’t want to stay in sports during their off seasons.

“I did cheerleading, and it was during the fall and winter,” Mackenzie Fields ‘14 said.

Sophia Schlesinger ‘16 simply feels that sports aren’t for her, and sticks more to the arts.

“I’m not a physical activity person,” Schlesinger said. “I still go to the gym fairly regularly. I do some exercise at home too, usually every other night.” she said.

Despite her absence from spring sports, Coelho stays active.

“It makes me kind of sad, but I need to prioritize my time. I know if I go on a run, it’ll take forty-five minutes, instead of two and a half hours with a team,” she said. “I’ll have just as good of a workout on my own.”