Halle Larew
Halle Larew
Reporter

POSSIBLE REPEAT

POSSIBLE REPEAT

By Michael Hunter

Dominating the past nine teams, City High football earned a number two seed going into the playoffs. The Little Hawks have had an impressive beginning to the season, outscored their opponents 297 – 114. Since Dubuque Senior, they have had the same goal.

“We want a state championship” Zach Swehla ‘11, outside linebacker said.

Swehla has been promoted to defensive play caller after having 49 tackles this season. Despite the 9-0 regular season Swehla is looking for last minute improvements before the post season.

“We really need to work on quarterback, as well as our overall toughness” Swehla said.

City High has had a lot of success with it’s defensive backs. Cornerback Jeremy Johnson 12’ leads the Mississippi Valley Conference in interceptions with 7. Johnsons says the offensive is impressive because of the leadership on the line.

“We are good because our offensive line is beastly,” said Johnson. “We open holes and protect the quarterback well.”

Big openings in the offensive line have led to the success for Junior Ronald Thompson and Senior Cedric Readus. Ronald Thompson broke over 1000 rushing yards this season against Cedar Rapids Prairie. Thompson and Readus have had a combined 20 touchdowns this season.

Andrew  McNulty ’11 has kept the playmaker quarterback tradition alive. McNulty has passed for 1012 yards and nine touchdowns. McNulty is still undecided about his college plans next year.

“This season went really well,” said McNulty.

City High finished the regular season with a dominating 41-14 victory over Cedar Rapids Prairie. Running Back Cedric Readus had two breakaway touchdowns on seven carries. Andrew McNulty had 244 yards of the 419 total yards. City High’s first round will be against (4-5) Davenport Central.

City High could face conference rival (9-0) Cedar Falls in the quarterfinals.

State Football Playoff Bracket