Rito Perez
Rito Perez
Reporter

City High and West High Perform for Dollars for Scholars Benefit – VIDEO

Trey Hill and 4th Ave. Show Choir perform Bon Jovi Medley

January 6, 2010-

City and West teamed up to raise money at the 3rd annual Dollars for Scholars benefit. This is one of several fundraisers that the national organization does throughout the year. Since 2004 the group has raised 50,000 dollars for scholarships.

“(Dollars for Scholars) is a really great program,” Nicholas Wagner’13 a memeber of West’s Showtime choir, “and it’s a good way to advertise show choir while helping people go to college.”

Dollars for scholars also does the Battle of the Bands event and the Dam to Downtown run every year. There are 2,000 chapters of Dollars for Scholars. 150 students have recieved awards and scholarships from the organization.

“I think doing a show for Dollars for Scholars was really good.” Grace Hoyland ‘14 also a member of West’s Showtime choir said, “It’s always nice to do something for charity.”

While the two schools came together to benefit a good cause, they admit there was still some competition.
“West has a good show. They’re going to be tough to beat.” Harry Hill ‘11 a member of City’s 4th Avenue Jazz Company said, “Everyone says it’s not about winning, but winning is awfully nice.”
Everyone had their own opinions about who performed better.

“I personally think that we did better,” West’s Wagner’ 13 said, “I mean we had a really stellar choreographer and people are also really motivated.”

Regardless of who had a better show, all the choirs are looking forward to their upcoming competitions. City Light’s will compete in Waulkee.

“We are all pretty pumped for our first competition next weekend.” Micah Cabbage ‘14 said.