Students’ Summer Plans

Maddy Deninger, Reporter

As the school year comes to an end, many students make plans for how they will spend their summer. Danielle Tang ‘17 will be going to Europe with members of City High’s choirs.

“It will not be my first time in France, but it will be for the rest of the countries, which I’m really excited about,” Tang said.

The choir will be visiting France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy.

Along with travelling, Tang also plans to volunteer at U of I Hospitals this summer. She explained what kind of volunteering she would be participating in.

“You go in a few times a week for three hours and there are a bunch of positions you can work at like the rooftop cafe [at the U of I Hospital] or you can work in the office or a bunch of places at the building,” Tang said.

In addition to people volunteering in state there are also people volunteering out of state. One of those people is Emily Bywater ‘17 who is going on a church mission trip to Niagara Falls, New York.

“I’m going on the [mission] trip to help people in need and get more silver cord hours while doing it,” Bywater said. “ I am really excited to go on the trip.”

Bywater sees the work she does on the mission trips, such as building, working in food banks, and nursing homes, as a way not only to help people but as a way to stay connected with people during the summer.

“Mission trips are a great way to make new friends and grow closer with the friends you already have,” Bywater said.

Volunteering isn’t the only way students gain life skills over the summer. Esme Rummelhart ‘17 will be partaking in the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards (RYLA) program this summer. Rummelhart explained why she wanted to get involved with a leadership program.

“I’ve really enjoyed all the leadership activities I’ve done in the past and, I think that I naturally kind of take that role,” Rummelhart said. I think it’s important to do as you get older if you want to make a change or establish yourself in whatever environment you’re in.”

For some students, summer is a time to relax. For others, it is an opportunity to participate in things that might not be available during the school year.

“Once summer actually hits I try to seize some opportunities because I know once summer gets going I really just want to sleep,” Rummelhart said. “But I try to participate in things because it does make you feel like you’re making a difference or you’re being productive, and that’s a good feeling.”