Library Creation Stations Find Popularity

Martha Willard
Students work on a puzzle in the Creation Station together

In the corner of the library, you’ll find the Creation Station. Students pop in throughout the day to do crafts, borrow card games, and complete puzzles. It was a new addition this year after Jenahlee Chamberlain, a City librarian, had requests from students. 

“At the beginning of the year, since I was new here, I wasn’t really sure what all kids would need. And then it was kind of at the club fair where kids were asking for markers, poster boards, all these different things, and we don’t have any of those,” Chamberlain said.

Now that it has been added, students pop in throughout the day to complete puzzles and use the craft supplies like tape, scissors and colored pencils.

“[The puzzle] It’s a challenge; it gives your brain a workout,” Leah Thomas ‘27 said.

Before COVID-19, with the previous librarian, there was a Maker Space that students used–something similar to this, but a bit bigger. The Creation Station is a way of slowly bringing that back.

“We had a few things, but I think some of it the previous librarian had given to other people, and we had some stuff in the back room, but the puzzles had 10 pieces missing,” Chamberlain said, “And so we just started from scratch.”

To start the Creation Station, Chamberlain had to find grants to fund it.

“The PTO does little mini-grants through Mr. Bacon, so I told him my idea for this, and they funded it. That’s how it got started,” Chamberlain said.

The puzzles, in particular, are frequently used by students.

“[My favorite part of doing the puzzles] is the satisfaction of finally finding that one piece that you’ve been looking for for like a week,” Charlie Harding ‘27 said.

View Comments (1)
$1800
$5000