Eleven City High Student Athletes Sign on National Signing Day

Eleven City High athletes representing five different sports signed national letters of intent for signing day.

Jim Geerdes

The 11 City High students who signed today: Mary Arch, Jared Taylor, Naeem Smith, Gabe Nkumu, Vance Dillon, Nate Wieland, Charles Johnson, Hailey Fay, Gabi Hiatt, Grace Brown, Narada Poole.

Jonathan House, Sports Editor

National Signing Day is celebrated nationwide as high school seniors sign with colleges to continue playing sports; this time at the collegiate level. This year, eleven City High seniors signed.

At the ceremony, all of the athletes were introduced and then their coaches were invited to come speak about them.

“I just hope you realize, and I think you do, that you’re very well prepared to move on,” head football coach Dan Sabers told the signees. “I hope you come in there feeling ‘hey, I’ve got a little advantage, my four years at City High have prepared me well not just for the football aspect of it but how to conduct your lives and how to be a student athlete as well.'”

After the coaches spoke, the athletes came forward to thank their coaches, parents, teammates, and mentors before signing their letters of intent.

The Little Hawks who signed are:

Cross Country:

Mary Arch at the University of Iowa

Dance:

Hailey Fay at the University of Arizona in Tucson

Football:

Charles Johnson at Ellsworth Community College in Iowa Falls

Gabe Nkumu at Concordia University in St. Paul, Minnesota

Jared Taylor at Northern State University in Aberdeen, South Dakota

Naeem Smith at Ellsworth Community College

Narada Poole at Ellsworth Community College

Nate Wieland at the University of Iowa

Vance Dillon at Ellsworth Community College

Soccer:

Grace Brown at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln

Softball:

Gabi Hiatt at Cornell College in Mount Vernon, IA