Dominic Roe
Dominic Roe
Reporter

Boxing Robots + Hugh Jackman = Dumb Fun : “Real Steel” Movie Review

Transformers? More like Rocky. “Real Steel” is a new action-family adventure directed by Shawn Levy (“Night at the Museum”). The film stars Hugh Jackman as an ex boxer who now uses his skills to train robots, yes, ROBOTS, to fight in the ring.
Despite the incredibly silly premise, this movie is actually a source of old school entertainment. This is the kind of movie families pay to see, and for good reason. This is a fun movie, it’s not one meant for someone to think, but just to entertain.The special effects for this movie seem incredibly realistic, the robot boxing scenes feel real and that really works in the movie’s favor, making them seem like they’re actually there, getting beat up by other metal foes. The acting was all perfectly decent, Evangeline Lily is excellent as eye candy (some call this a love interest) and Hugh Jackman’s American accent never ceases to impress.
The script is pretty un-original and predictable, but with a movie like this, one shouldn’t care. The viewer should just enjoy it for the dumb, fun family movie that it really is, and the fact that I didn’t take the film too seriously definitely helped me enjoy the film a lot more for what it is.All in all, this isn’t the smartest movie to come out this year, but its a darn fun one to enjoy with the family. Bring on round 2!My Rating: 7/10
Critics Rating: 58% (Rottentomatoes.com)