City High Choirs Perform in Their First Concert of the Year

Each City High Choir performs in their first concert of the year.

Allyson Guyer, Reporter

After many weeks of practice, the City High choirs got their first chance to show off. Crowds gathered in Opstad with anticipation.

First to take the stage was The City High Treble Choir made up of sophomore and freshman girls. They started out the night by singing “Woyaya” and “River in Judea”. The girls believed that the song choices were really good for their skill level.

“I thought the songs were really interesting because Woyaya is an African song, and it was cool how we had drummers at the front,” Cecilia Aldrich-Ingram ‘20 said.

Next up was the Little Hawk singers performing the songs “Shenandoah”, “Funiculi Funicula,” and ‘There Is Nothing Like A Dame”, in which Sam Contreras ‘21 and Ryan Carter ‘20 both performed solos.

“I think we performed really well. I think we had good vocals, and stayed focus throughout the show,” Sean Phillips ‘20 said.

The Advanced Women’s Choir also performed that night. Claire Green ‘19 and Ella Lowry ‘18 each had crowd pleasing solos in “Away from the Roll of the Sea”.

“I think my section did really well last night. We’ve been working very hard on our tone quality and really blending and it really paid off in our performance,” Claire Green ‘19 said.

The Concert Choir finished the show with four songs “Wie Lieblich Diene Wohnungen” from Eine Deutches Requiem, ‘The Best Of Rooms”, “Nyon Nyon”, and “Cindy”. During the show the performers used clapping to intensify the rhythm. The students surprised the crowd with the last song. The lights shut out and silence fell upon the auditorium, suddenly flashlights were held up by each singer and they began swaying to the tune of the song.

“Overall I think that each choir was at their best. I believe it was the finest fall concert I have been apart of during my nine years at City High. The audience provided positive feedback and I’m sure the students were thankful and energized by their response,” Dr. James Thompson said.