Review: Truth or Dare

Review: Truth or Dare

Paris Fuller, Reporter

I have always been a fan of horror movies so when my friends and I saw the previews for Truth or Dare it was a no-brainer that we had to see this. Warning: spoilers ahead.

“Truth or Dare” is by Blumhouse Studios and director Jeff Wadlow. The movie had a budget of 3.5 million, is rated PG-13, and stared Lucy Hale, an actress in the popular show “Pretty Little Liars.”  

The movie is about a group of college students who go on a spring break trip to Mexico where they meet a guy who takes them to a creepy old church to play a game of truth or dare. What they don’t know is a demon hijacked their game and uses their friends, family and strangers to dare them.

So the first things I want to address are the things I don’t like about the movie.  

There were a few things I didn’t think were very realistic. The first thing was the fact they met a stranger in a foreign country and decided to follow him to a place they had no idea about. Really? I don’t know about you, but I would not follow a guy who I don’t know in a foreign country! I get that if they didn’t there would be no movie, but come on. Common sense.

Next–this is something that is a no-no in the horror movie genre–going off by yourself. The characters always think they can handle themselves by going off alone. But my friends and I were in an agreement that we would have stuck together. One thing the movie made sure you knew were the rules to the truth or dare game, such as you have to do the dare otherwise you die, or you have to tell the truth or you die, and if you’re dared to play you are automatically in the game. I think those are simple enough but yet they were hard for the characters to understand. Many deaths could have been avoided if they followed the three rules of the game.

Lastly, the ending. This movie’s ending was not great…at all. I just don’t like sad endings and the ending to this movie was no exception. Basically, they find out how to stop the game, they fail at doing so and realize there’s no way out of the game, and so Olivia [Lucy Hale] makes a video daring the whole world to play the game when she posts it on YouTube because if your dared your automatically in the game. Yeah, I don’t understand it either.

On a sunnier note, let’s get to the things I liked most about this movie. If you are in fact looking for a scary movie, this is it. If you’re going to see a scary movie, you actually want to see a scary movie, and I wasn’t disappointed when I saw this.I didn’t think the actors were too cheesy. I thought the casting was done well and the actors did a great job. Finally, the monster. All horror movies have a monster and making it scary was key. Although this monster showed itself through other people, it was creepy and not forgettable.

Now time for my rating. Rotten Tomatoes gave this movie a 3.6 out of 10 but I give this movie a 6 out of 10. Don’t expect it to be good, but seeing it with friends can make it a good experience.