City High Culture Night: The Details

Nina Lavezzo-Stecopoulos, Reporter

The Student Diversity and Equity Council, formed in the 2016-2017 school year by the demands of SAHD, is planning Culture Night on May 18. The event will take place in the cafeteria from 5:00 to 7:30pm. This student group is planning on having students perform along with booths held by families informing attendees about ethnicities and cultures.

“Hopefully students learn more about different cultures,” said Ava Otoadese ‘18, one of the senior leaders of the SDEC.

SDEC had been discussing this event for some time but were really inspired by West High’s Walk it Out, a similar event including performances and fashion from regions around the world. The night will include food donated from local restaurants, like Nile Ethiopian. There will be a large selection of different dishes from different cultures. Families may bring food to include at their booth as well.

“We saw it as an opportunity to involve all the students in City High and they’re families,” said Otoadese.

SDEC says that this event is welcome to the whole community. Students or families that are interested in hosting a booth with information about their culture may sign up in the main office. Participants are welcome to bring food, traditional dress, and old pictures, and anything else celebrating diversity. There will also be a series of performances including dancing, poetry, and more.

“We have such a diverse school, so it’s really important the we celebrate that and acknowledge that, and that we attempt to create an environment that is as culturally aware and accepting as possible,” said Otoadese.