Dance Marathon Club Enters the Year With High Ambitions

Phoebe Chapnick-Sorokin, Executive Editor

Nearly 100,000 children die of cancer each year, and Dance Marathon Club is out to change this. Last year, the club exponentially increased both the amount of money raised, and the event’s attendance from the year prior. This year, they are taking things even farther.

“Last year we had a lot of fun, but there is always room for bigger and better things,” Alexa Fredericks ‘19, one of the club’s leaders, said.

They have raised their goal to an ambitious, but achievable, number due to the added fundraising events.

“Our goal is to raise $10,000 and have many fun events aside from the big dance, like a raffle at the October 5 football game,” Kaylee Paulsen ‘19, another of the club’s leaders, said.

The club has arranged for the October 5 football game to be Dance Marathon-themed. The club will be selling City High Dance Marathon T-shirts to wear in the weeks leading up to the game.

Last year, the club created a strong partnership with the University of Iowa Dance Marathon, and they plan to continue and strengthen those ties this year. City High’s event is considered a Mini Dance Marathon, or “mini” for short, in partnership with the University of Iowa’s big event.

“We really enjoyed working with members of the University of Iowa Dance Marathon last year, and we hope to continue that this year,” Paulsen said. “They helped us accomplish our goals, taught us their morale dance, and a few of our members even got to participate in their 24-hour event.”

Fredericks was one of the students to participate in the 24-hour event and she feels a very strong connection to Dance Marathon. She is excited to share it with more City High students this year.

“Dance Marathon is so special and important to me and I want to bring the passion from the University of Iowa to City High,” Fredericks said.

The club meets every other Friday morning in room 3107, and is open to all students.