LH Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

LH Movie Review: Bohemian Rhapsody

Via Twentieth Century Fox

Via Twentieth Century Fox

Via Twentieth Century Fox

Via Twentieth Century Fox

Lindy Rublaitus, A&E Editor

Remakes and sequels have been flooding the theaters, but the release of “Bohemian Rhapsody” was a beautiful homage to the classic music that created the culture of which we are a part. The memory of Freddie Mercury, played by Rami Malek, will live on with the rocking music of Queen in this very classic biographical film.

The film focused on Mercury’s personal life, starting from his time as an evolving teenager living with his Indian family to his last moments on stage as he fought with AIDS. Starting in his younger days, Mercury took the lead singer’s position in a small band, as he had a special talent that allowed his vocals to reach new heights–his teeth. The band exploded, going from small-time basement bar performances to earning their first record deal with the same company that was working with Elton John. The soaring success of Queen’s creative music-making led them to the top of the charts, allowing them to do tours around the world.  

Rami Malek depicting Mercury is truly fascinating because he was able to accurately capture Mercury’s physical aesthetic and emotional demeanor. Malek really gives Mercury an identity of an outcast who succeeded and didn’t let anyone get in his way.

The film got to take a deeper look into his sexual identity as Mercury identifying as homosexual. This movie was released at a really good time because there are so many political issues happening with sexual identities. “Bohemian Rhapsody” was an interesting view on this issue as it took place about 30 years ago where our society wasn’t nearly as developed in political standings.

“Bohemian Rhapsody” hits so many different levels of emotion. Mercury’s determination for acceptance and success was funny while he was pitching the song “Bohemian Rhapsody” and being told that it wouldn’t succeed as a ‘headbanger’ because it was too long, but also tended to be depressing because the things he was trying to do were frankly terribly out of reach and difficult. This is one of those movies that inspires. It’s not quite a happy movie and it’s not quite a sad movie. You laugh during the harder times and you cry at the end.

I would highly recommend seeing “Bohemian Rhapsody,” and soon. It’s a great break from the stress of the end of the tri. I saw it as a part of a group but I would go again just to be able to ugly cry (no judgement here). It’s one of those movies that I would suggest to people who have a bunch of emotion locked up and need a release.

If you have seen “Bohemian Rhapsody,” then I would highly suggest watching “Man on the Moon” with Jim Carrey. The main characters both have the same way of achieving success and do whatever they need to get to the top.

About the Writer
Lindy Rublaitus, A&E Editor

Lindy is a senior and a second year journalist for the Little Hawk. This year she is A&E editor and is excited to cover all the special events going...