Recycling: Coming to a Cafeteria Near You

“City has tried recycling a few times before and it’s just sort of died out,” Senior Class President Sophie Neems ‘12, said. “However, I know if we just stick with it, it’ll be here to stay.”

Beginning January 17th, recycling bins will be in the cafeteria for students to recycle their leftover water bottles and other recyclable lunch remains. To help students make the transition into recycling, Student Senate members will be stationed at the bins during lunch, and will be recognizable in their hot pink uniform (bright pink t-shirts sporting the phrase “we put the ‘stud’ in Student Senate.”)

However, since this is just the beginning of recycling at City, not all materials will actually be recycled, with milk bottles remaining trash can material for a while.

“I don’t think it’d be too difficult (to recycle the milk bottles,) but for now it’s just too much of a hassle.” Neems said. “We need to just let people get used to the simpler recycling routine so we don’t overwhelm everyone all at once.”
The reasons for avoiding milk bottles to start were that they carry with them several complications. In order to recycle the bottles everyone would have to dump their leftover milk out of the container before recycling it, and Neems reported that many people were opposed to that, the opposition citing the unavoidable spillage that would soil the carpet and complicate cleanup.
Despite the hard work the recycling program will entail, Student Senate says they’re prepared with schedules for the lunch room volunteers being laid out in advance and incentives (the pink t-shirts,) provided for volunteers.

“It’s hard work but, in the end, it’ll all be worth it,” Neems said. “The rewards of recycling make it all worth it.”