Life With Liv

Olivia Lusala, Graphics and Social Media Editor

Personal style is something we all have regardless of what life throws at us. How we present ourselves to the world is a part of life that we will always have to deal with. Being clear about who you want to present to the world is something that probably won’t change much. Your style is an evolving process that will change over time, so it’s incredibly important to be able to adapt and maintain a style that is true to yourself at every point in your life.  

Why is this so important? The impact of personal style goes far beyond making a good first impression; great personal style is also about approaching each day with confidence and the ability to feel beautiful in whatever you are wearing. Believe it or not, the right wardrobe plays a huge role in that department.

Now I’ll be the first to admit, finding your own personal style can be a struggle. I’ve been there, gazing hopelessly into my full wardrobe for hours, deciding what the hell to wear, wishing I had a fairy godsister to help me style myself. Luckily for you, I have mapped out a complete style guide to help you find your own personal style that will help you conquer the world.

Seek inspiration

Pinterest and Instagram are great friends when looking for inspiration. Jot down the names of your favorite style icons and gather inspiration from their looks. Pulling inspiration from several looks is a great way to figure out what you like and dislike. Take that inspiration and combine that with styles that resonate with you.

Clean out your closet

Take a second to purge your wardrobe. Take a long look at your it and decide what you want to keep and what’s a little outdated and no longer speaks to you. This will help you start fresh and start to rebuild a collection of clothes that truly represents where you are in life and who you want to show the world.

Take your lifestyle into consideration.

Not only do you want the way you dress to be a great representation of you, but you also want it to match your overall lifestyle. Take note of all the situations and places that you often find yourself in: school, work, parties, dinner dates or lounging around with friends. Are you an active person or not? Try to buy pieces that you can mix and match and wear throughout all these situations.

Go with your gut

Your personal style should always, always, always be true to yourself. So, if you like it, go for it! Your style should reflect and celebrate your individuality! I’ve definitely worn some outfits that were a little out there but ended up getting tons of compliments and feeling super confident. Wear it and own it because, at the end of the day, something that makes you feel confident and beautiful couldn’t possibly go out of style.  

About the Writer
Olivia Lusala, Art Editor

Olivia Lusala enjoys applying pigments to paper in a pleasing assortment of color. When she grows up she aims to have a kazoo solo on the Broadway stage....