School Board Recap 12/11/18

Lottie Gidal, News and Sports Editor

West High student Paras Basouk presented West High’s highlights from the past month, as well as a number of exciting musical events to look forward to in the coming weeks, with a focus on the upcoming Jazz Cafe. Liberty representative Kate Randall discussed fundraiser to fight cancer that exceeded an amount of $4,000, as well as the commencement of the Liberty NHS.

Brady Shutt from the ICEA was here to discuss equity in the district.

“I think it’s important to remember that we are all here to help kids, and we just wanted to pass along the message that students

Next on the agenda, the board was set to receive the funds from Run for The Schools, presented by Iowa Road Races. 2018 was the 20th anniversary of the run, something Iowa Road Races works on all year. The chair and main presenter of the check was Joan DePrenger, teacher and librarian at Horn Elementary.

“This run is truly a labor of love,” DePrenger said. “They’ve turned their passion into something that really benefits the Iowa City Schools. It is our honor to contribute this money.”

The funds totaled to a staggering $30,089.88. In the history of the race, the organization has been able to donate over 1 million dollars to the ICCSD. 2018 also saw a record 1,400 runners and over 100 volunteers.

The Community Comment was next, and first on the list was Rebecca Tilly, Lucas PTO secretary.

“We have learned that the new bussing boundaries exclude a number of student neighborhoods who are 1.8 miles away, the disproportionate burden on this population group. We would like to request that the board changes the boundaries without requiring additional paperwork for families to submit. The board already approved something similar back when the old Hoover building was in question and the distance was 1.9 miles.”