Henry Thein
Henry Thein
Reporter

My Week With Marilyn: Movie Review

Last year in cinema we were showered with the releases of bland movies and the occasional Oscar worthy film. As the end of 2011 drew near, the fear of no show stopping performances set in. That is until the world was introduced to My Week With Marilyn. The film is about a young man, Colin Clarke who gets a job as third assistant director on the British set of The Prince and The Showgirl, A film about how a grand duke falls for a down on her luck Showgirl.  Meanwhile Colin spends a week with the movie’s star and Americas icon, Marilyn Monroe. Through the week though you watch as America’s sex symbol goes from Ms. Perfect to just another tortured soul.

Let’s start off by saying that this film has earned a full five stars from The Little Hawk. My Week with Marilyn was lead by an ensemble cast with a triumphant story of how everything is not as it seems. The gracious Michelle Williams played Monroe’s character. Williams went above and beyond when it came to being Marilyn. She did not merely imitate her, she embodied her. Williams spent three months talking only in a Marilyn Monroe voice. Scenes in the film in which Monroe is her picture perfect sexual innuendo self are breathtaking while scenes in which we are shown a vulnerable and fragile Marilyn will have you tearing up. Williams most recently won the “Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical Golden Globe Award” and is sure to be a promising nominee for Best Actress in the Oscar race. Williams co-star Kenneth Branagh who plays the cynical potty mouth director and star of the film Laurence Olivier. Branagh’s portrayal of Olivier was tremendous and show stopping. When he was not lusting over Marilyn’s beauty, he was yelling at everyone about why he is the star of the movie. Branagh also snagged a Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor and has received an Oscar nod along with Williams.

The film’s impeccable cast aside, it had fantastic cinematography. The sets were beautiful. When you were not met with the alluring Scotland countryside, you saw the dazzling scenery of London. The script was amazing with very entertaining dialogue. The chemistry between the actors was that of Jack’s and Rose’s from the Titanic. This movie is a must-see during Oscar season.