Student Senate Recap: Election Rules and Picnic Concerns

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Friday, April 19 began with a presentation by Vice President Naomi Meurice ’19 on prom. The senate is selling tickets during lunch.

Yardley Whaylen ’20 asked student senators to support South East students in their climate strike, which has been happening every Friday for over a month.

The senate moved on to discussion of the elections.

“If you would like to run for vice president or president, the contracts are [here],” faculty adviser Steve Tygrett said. “There will be a day where all the candidates will be going down to the auditorium. During advisory and going into sixth period, all current juniors will be asked to go into the auditorium. [Candidates] will be asked to give a two-minute speech.”

However, Tygrett said, scheduling concerns have come up for most of the month of May.

“From the fifth through the 17, we have AP testing and we can’t have the assembly when current juniors are testing. From the 19 through the 23, the auditorium is set up for elementary concerts,” Tygrett said. “The 20 through the 22 might be a possibility.”

The senate determined that there will be online voting on Google Forms.

The senior picnic was the next issue addressed.

“40 percent of our kids are free and reduced lunch, and they legitimately don’t have money for food trucks,” Tygrett said. “Do we want those kids to come back and get cake and lemonade for free and see their friends [buying food] and not be able to participate? Are we expecting those kids to go into the lunchroom and get lunch?”

The senate meets every Wednesday at 8:10 in Room 3311. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact one of the faculty advisers: Judith Dickson, Melanie Gibbens, Chip Hardesty, or Steve Tygrett.