Student Senate Recap: As Election Looms, Juniors Volunteer at Senior Picnic

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, May 15, 2019 began with a discussion of prom prices.

“Our net from prom was $10,659,” faculty adviser Steve Tygrett said. “We do have reserves, so as long as we’re being solvent, we are in good shape. Prom will continue on. Do we keep it at the same price?”

The senate debated the cost.

“We would not have broken even if it wasn’t $20,” President Lottie Gidal ’19 said. “I feel happy about it.”

The senior picnic will be Thursday, May 23, 2019. The seniors will return from the Day of Service at noon.

“Any junior who has open or would be called out of class around that time would help out,” Tygrett said. “You’d be astounded how many seniors have gone through 12-13 years of school and can’t clean up after themselves.”

Yardley Whaylen ’20, Mira Bohannan Kumar ’20, Demetrious Ramirez ’20, and Thomas McMillan ’20 volunteered.

“I might, but probably not,” William Irvine ’20 said.

All of the aforementioned juniors are running in the senate presidential or vice presidential elections, which will be held Monday, May 20.

“You will log in just like the homecoming king and queen voting,” Tygrett said. “[Candidates] are meeting fifth period in Opstad so that you can practice, and then the juniors will come in during advisory.”

The senate determined randomly the order of speeches for the election.

As this was Gidal and Vice President Naomi Meurice ’19’s last student senate meeting, the senate gave a round of applause for their work. The meeting on May 22 will be led by the next student senate president and vice president.

The senate meets every Wednesday at 8:10 in Room 3311. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact one of the faculty advisers: Judith Dickson, Melanie Gibbens, Chip Hardesty, or Steve Tygrett.