Sadie Bodzin
Sadie Bodzin
Culture Co-Editor

Jazz Bands rank well at IHSMA State Jazz contest

Jazz Ensemble warms before performing at the IHSMA state jazz competition Saturday.

The morning of Saturday, January 28th, City High’s Jazz Ensemble and Jazz Band I traveled to Cedar Rapids Kennedy High School for the Iowa High School Music Association’s annual state jazz contest.
“We put forth our best effort and were rewarded for doing so,” Ryan Arp, director of the Jazz Bands, said, addressing the bands following the competition.
The two bands both performed three pieces that they had prepared for the occasion, and then participated in the sight reading portion of the competition immediately afterwards. The sight reading segment of the competition consisted of the band entering a room adjacent to the stage from which they performed, being given a piece of music they had never seen before, and playing the piece after only five minutes of preparation under strict guidelines. However, due to a misunderstanding of regulations, Jazz Band I was forced to sight read an “first band level piece,” despite the fact that they are City’s second jazz band.
“There were two too many of us so we had to play the same song as Jazz Ensemble,” Austin Berry ’14, a member of Jazz Band I, said.
Shortly after both bands finished competing they were given their rankings; Jazz Ensemble received a division one ranking, and Jazz Band I a division two ranking.
“I think it was unfair because we had to play a harder piece than the other second bands but we still got judged on the same level as them,” Heather Roesch ’14, also a Jazz Band I member, said.
Despite the circumstances, Arp remained positive, telling Jazz Band I to remain focused on improving.
“We did our best and I’m proud, but, as always, we can do better, and that’s what we should continue to focus on.”
For those interested in seeing the Jazz Bands for themselves, the next upcoming performance is the Jazz Showcase. It will take place on February 11th in the City High cafeteria and feature all of the City High jazz bands, as well as guest trumpet player Robert Baca. According to the City High School Band website it is “THE fundraiser for the jazz band program at City High, come one come all!”
For more information on the upcoming performance or any other info about City High’s band program, visit http://www.cityhighband.com/

All Photos by Eli Shepherd for The Little Hawk. Slideshow below.