Ben Clifton
Ben Clifton
Yearbook

Girls Basketball Prepares for “Finals” with Prairie, Waterloo and West

Kiera Washpun ’14 prepares to shoot a free throw during the first West game. Photo by Ellen Carman
Kiera Washpun '14 prepares to shoot a free throw during the first West game. Photo by Ellen Carman.

Parents, teachers, and coaches are always saying, “You need to learn from your mistakes.”  The Little Hawk girls basketball team will need to do just that as they wrap up their season against three opponents that have been or are currently ranked, in the last two weeks of the season.  Two of those opponents, No. 12 Cedar Rapids Prairie and No. 2 Iowa City West, have dealt City two of this season’s five losses and if they are to change the outcome the second time around, it will be necessary to have learned their lessons from the prior games.

“We did not rebound very well against Cedar Rapids Prairie.  We are going to rebound better on Friday and we also plan on taking care of the basketball better the second time around,” head coach Bill McTaggart said. “Against West High the first time, we had trouble for about a two to three minute stretch in the third quarter.  We need to play a very good game to have a chance against West.”

The Little Hawks play Prairie on Friday, February 3, and West on Saturday, February 11.  Both games are at home.  In between these two rematches, the Little Hawks will play Waterloo West.  The Wahawks have flown under the radar for most of the season, but have beaten good teams such as Cedar Rapids Washington.

“Waterloo West does not have as much depth as some other teams in our conference, but they shoot the ball very well and they have a good half court trapping defense,” McTaggart said.

When asked about strategies his team will use to win these games, McTaggart said their main focuses were taking care of the ball, creating turnovers, and hustling back on defense.  Along with that, the Little Hawks must keep their guard up in order to avoid a failing grade for their last three tests.