Student Senate Recap: Clubs Start Seeking Grants

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Shoshie Hemley, Opinion Editor

While student senate hasn’t had the same levels of attendance as it had during the Homecoming court debates, there has been bustling conversation amongst the students, with almost every desk still filled. The senate has started different committees for various projects around the school. The senate has split into environmental, special events, and donations/drives committees. 

“I think that breaking into committees gets a lot done and everyone in the senate works well together,” Mae Barron ‘22, a student in the donations/drive committee said. 

The meeting ended with a presentation from students from Business Professionals of America in order to ask the senate for funding. The club explained what they do and the events they have. Last year, they developed $4,500 in scholarships. They recently went to a state leadership conference, which they spent around $115 each to attend. BPA asked for $500 from student senate to help fund activities. Thomas McMillan ‘20 pitched his argument for the money after he gave the presentation.

“I think Mr. Leman will do a good job deciding who gets to use it,” McMillan said in reference to how the money would be allocated. 

Student senate has a limited amount of money to give to clubs annually. Itasked BPA to fill out a grant application and it will look at other grant requests before coming to any final decisions on how much money should be given to the club.

Any club wanting to request a grant for funding from student senate should present its need to the senate and fill out an application. Student senate meetings are open to anyone, and are every Wednesday morning in Ms. Gibbens’ room at 8:15 am.