New Regulations in the Lunchroom

Students fill their trays at lunch on Spring Greens Day at City High. Photo by Nat Alder.

New regulations started at a national level have started to engage kids at a local front. This new rule stipulates that the amount of fruits and green vegetables available to children and teenagers across the country will be increased in cafeterias, while the amount of salt and fat will be reduced at a slow rate. This comes after the contradictory announcement that Tomato paste will be classified as a vegetable, so that Pizza can be kept in schools’ lunch menus.

These rules are among the first changes in a school lunch program in 15 years. They were initiated by Michelle Obama, who has been combating childhood obesity since Obama got elected into office in 2008.
“I don’t really understand why they’re trying to do this, they’re just making the food worse than it is by taking out the good stuff,” Kara Hartley ‘13 said. “I think people should have the choice if they want to have healthier food then they can make that work-and some do, but I don’t think they should spend time and money on salt and little things like that.”