City High Mock Trial Makes History with Multiple Teams Qualifying for State

For the first time in the history of the program, more than one City High mock trial team advances to the state tournament

The junior mock trial team placed 4th at the regional tournament and advanced to state.

Mary Murphy

Julianne Berry-Stoelzle, Sports Editor

Cheers erupted from the City High mock trial team as the results of the regional tournament were announced. Lots of hugging and laughter ensued, as three of the four City High teams qualified for the state tournament.

“The moment that they said our team name and we heard that we were going to state, we all just screamed,” Alice Boerner ‘22 said.

Of the 13 teams competing in the regional competition in Davenport on Monday, March 9, the top four qualified for state. The City teams placed 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. 

“It was a huge moment of worry when we weren’t sure whether or not we were going to state but I think it was really just an intense feeling of accomplishment when we heard them call our name,” Katherine Geerdes ‘21 said. “It’s just really nice to see all our hard work pay off.”

The mock trial teams are predominately divided up by grade. The senior team scored a close second behind the first place team from Davenport Central. 

“I am feeling really good right now,” Kelby Anderson ‘20 said. “I was so nervous. I felt sick this morning because I woke up and was super scared, but this has all been worth it.” 

This is the first time that more than one mock trial team from City High has advanced to the state tournament. 

“[This] is a huge improvement. We had four quality teams that had really good chemistry and really great coaching and I felt like it went really well,” coach Jason Schumann said.

The predominately sophomore team only had one member with previous experience in mock trial, yet they advanced to state after receiving 3rd place at the regional tournament. 

“I am so excited. We are going to have to work really hard for the next few weeks but it’s gonna be fun,” Boerner said. “Before we all competed, it was really tense, just a lot of craziness but afterwards, we got to have fun with all of the other teams.”

The state tournament will take place on March 30-31 with final rounds on April 1. 

“I am feeling absolutely amazing. I was really hoping this would happen but I didn’t want to get my hopes up,” Mira Bohannan Kumar ‘20 said. “I knew that my team did well, we prepared, we were all ready for this, and we came out there fighting.”