The City High Girls Swim Team Places 15th at State with Individual Finishes in the Top 3

Julianne Berry-Stoelzle, Executive Editor

Despite multiple additional challenges due to COVID-19, the City High girls swim team was still able to compete at the 2020 Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union state swim meet on November 13 and 14. The team placed 15th overall with a total of 46 points. 

“We dropped seed times in almost every single event, which is about as good as a meet can go on the coach’s side of things,” head coach Zane Hugo said. “I thought that was a really good way to finish out [the season].”

Individual highlights include Heidi Stalkfleet ‘22 placing 3rd in both the 100 yard fly and the 500 yard freestyle, with final times of 56.30 and 4:51.22 respectively. Rika Yahashiri ‘21 placed 12th in the 100 yard breaststroke with a finals time of 1:08.84 and 14th in the 50 yard freestyle with a time of 24.52. Additionally, Greta Stanier ‘23 placed 29th in diving with a total of 174.15 points.

“I think that everybody on our team and on the other teams did a great job,” state alternate Avery Loftus ‘24 said. “Overall it was just great.”

The 400 yard freestyle relay of Stalkfleet, Averi Loria ‘22, Kalea Seaton ‘24, and Yahashiri placed 15th with a time of 3:43.53. The 200 medley relay of Julianne Berry-Stoelzle ‘21, Stalkfleet, Yahashiri, and Loria placed 20th, finishing in 1:51.69. Alternates were Loftus and Amelia Lang-Fallon ‘23. 

“I got a lot of younger girls here to gain some experience at the state level, and that’s going to serve the team well in the future,” Hugo said.