Helena Echa
Helena Echa
Reporter

A+ Achiever, Francesca Crutchfield-Stoker, proves to be a model student

As the President of City High’s Best Buddies chapter, Francesca Crutchfield-Stoker proves to be a model student.  Crutchfield is involved in other activities at CHS, but believes Best

Crutchfield-Stoker and her Best Buddy of 2 years Keisha. Photo special to The Little Hawk.

Buddies to be her favorite activity.
“It’s just so much fun and rewarding to see everyone in the club having fun, and all groups from school are represented in the club,” Crutchfield said.  “To see the diversity is amazing and we have really awesome dance parties.”
Crutchfield was born in Santa Fe, New Mexico and then moved to Iowa City until age seven.  She then moved back to and lived in Santa Fe until 4th Grade, when she came back to Iowa City, where she still resides today.  Crutchfield has two older brothers, one dog named Knickers, and four cats; Noell, Fanny, Emily, and Lilly.
“My cats can be really annoying, but they are very lovable and great cuddlers when they aren’t chasing their tails,” Crutchfield said.
Crutchfield is also involved in Symphony Orchestra, Interact Club, Large Group Speech and other drama related activites.
“I really like working behind the scenes in the light crew and pit orchestra,”  Crutchfield said.  “It’s lots of fun seeing everything come together from backstage, and spending time in the catwalks is always fun.”
Overall, Crutchfield believe that her favorite part about CHS is the diversity.
“I love how many groups are represented in our school,” Crutchfield said.  “And how everybody gets along.”
As far as academics, Spanish is Crutchfield’s favorite subject.
“Spanish is my favorite because it includes history, movies, books, and so much culture all in one class,” Crutchfield said.  “As well I love the language a lot because it’s really pretty and it’s cool realizing you can use it.  And the Spain trip was the best two weeks ever, so it’s cool that we get to do that with a school class.”
Crutchfield plans to continue her education by going to college after this year.
“I’ve applied to 12 different schools, and I’m waiting to hear back from them,” Crutchfield said.  “I’d love to go to Swarthmore.”
Crutchfield realizes that high school proves to be difficult at times, but accredits her success to perseverance.
“Realizing that you’re always going to be able to get through it is important,” Crutchfield said.  “Knowing that can make the difference.”
Crutchfield notes that she has struggled in some areas over the years.
“I have had some trouble in Math and had to go in and talk to my teachers,” Crutchfield said.
She believes that going in to talk to your teachers is one of the most important things you can do.
“The teachers at City are nice and helpful,” Crutchfield said.  “And in the end, I’m always glad when I go in for help.”