Isabella Young
Isabella Young
Opinion Co-Editor

MORP Kicks off can drive

Students “get their groove on” at MORP. Photo by Gabe Brasile.

‘Eye of the Tiger’, and legwarmers, both relics of the past, made a comeback on February 24 with Student Senate’s MORP dance.

“It was like Halloween in February,” Student Senate President Sophie Neems ‘12 said.  “It was fun and different, plus girls asked guys.”

With the annual prom spectacular on the horizon, Student Senate decided to try something new, an Anti-Prom.

“MORP is our way of combining the annual winter formal and the can drive,” Neems said. “Students should go because it’s a chance to dance and not listen to modern music.”

Students "get their groove on" at MORP. Photo by Gabe Brasile.

Neems explains that the dance proposes a healthy alternative to Prom,

“The point is to not spend so much money on what you wear, like prom, but rather wear 80’s themed costumes.”

With its cost of five dollars or three cans of food, Morp is also cheaper than the usual 10 to 15 dollar Prom fee.

Not only does Morp serve as an anti-prom, but by accepting cans as a fee, it kicks off Student Senate’s annual Can Drive.

“MORP also kicks off our can drive,” Neems said.

Every year, Student Senate collects hundreds of cans to benefit the Iowa City Crisis Center.  However, like the institution of Morp, Student Senate is changing some logistics of the can drive.

“We’re taking a new approach this year,” Neems said. “There are going to be ‘department challenges,’ as opposed to the usual ‘classroom challenges.’”

This change was a response to the ineffectiveness of classroom challenges in the past.

“There were always certain teachers that got more cans than others,” Neems said.

With the new system, can displays will be set up in the main lobby, as opposed to individual classrooms and the department with the most cans will be rewarded.

“Teachers can encourage their students to donate to the department.” Neems said. “This new system will help even out the cans.”