Student Senate Prepares for Prom This Weekend

After two years without a traditional prom, prom will be held this weekend at The Graduate. Student Senate has planned the event, deciding everything from the theme to the decorations.

Anastacia Laux, A&E Editor

With prom a few days away on May 7, gowns and suits are being bought in anticipation of the Enchanted Evening. For members of Student Senate, however, planning for prom has entailed more than shopping and making evening plans. Rebecca Michaeli ‘22, co-class president of City High, has been working with the Senate at organizing the event.

“My role is to help organize and manage the planning of prom. Some things that we are doing in Student Senate are communicating with our club sponsors; Miss Gibbons, Mr. Tygrett, and Chip; to reserve the venue, which is at The Graduate this year,” Michaeli said.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the past two prom events have been canceled. Last year, a prom event was held on Bates Field. The event planners have anticipated this year’s event since before the pandemic, scheduling the venue and DJ early on.

“We are going big [with this theme],” Michaeli said. “I would describe it as Disney-inspired, I think that is the best way to describe our Enchanted Evening.”

As an advisor sponsor of Student Senate, Melanie Gibbens has been meeting with members on Tuesdays and Fridays to work on publicizing the event as well as coming up with grand ideas 

“We chose a color scheme of blue, silver, and white,” Gibbens said, on the topic of the Enchanted Evening theme. “We’re going to have carriages on some of the tables, flowers, and lots of lights.”

After having plans changed for the two previous proms due to COVID-19, this year’s event has presented challenges with how to return back to the more traditional form of prom.

“There has been uncertainty about whether we will really be in a venue. The last prom we had was 2019. And then last year, we had Prom Under the Stars because our venue was the IMU and they wouldn’t allow us to have it. [Student Senate] has just really wanted to have a wonderful prom [this year] for juniors and seniors. This will really be something special,” Gibbens said.

While dancing is to be expected on the night of prom, Michaeli says students can also look forward to desserts and food, sparkling decorations, and fun photo sessions. Party After Prom will be held back at City High until 3 am. Organized by parents of the junior class, the second half of the evening will be entertained with games and prizes.

“I think it’s really cool that all of the upperclassmen, seniors especially, are going to get to come together one night after a long time of not seeing each other. I’ve enjoyed working with all of the amazing people in Student Senate, our sponsors, and students,” Michaeli said.

Upperclassmen can purchase tickets in the cafeteria for $20 during all three lunches. Prom will be held at The Graduate from 8 to 11 pm, with school IDs required to enter.