A Book Club Everyone Can Enjoy

The School That Reads allows more freedom to their book club members.

Sadie Bodzin

Amal Eltayib ‘26 reads in Mr. Scott’s classroom

Sadie Bodzin, Editor

The idea for a book club at City High started as just a fun idea between English teacher Shamari Scott and his English students, but Claire Hartwig ‘25, Sadie Bodzin ‘25, and Layla Lovan ‘25 took action this year to make the idea a reality.

The book club gives students the opportunity to choose the books they want to read, by letting them pick any book of a set category/theme every month. They then meet in room 1307 every Friday advisory to discuss their books together.

“Last year we were in our English 9 Honors book slide presentation with Mr. Scott and he thought it would be fun to have a book club,” Hartwig explained. “We love Mr. Scott as a teacher, so we decided that we were going to do a book club together.”

Unlike most book clubs that give everybody a designated book to read, The School That Reads lets people choose the books that they want to read. By doing this, they’re hoping that the members actually enjoy the reading, instead of forcing them to read something they don’t want to read.

“It’s a lot more work to try to get everyone to read the same book even though it might not be a genre people enjoy,” Hartwig said. “So I think just having one main theme or requirement for the book helps. It’s unique and catered to each person.”

When asked, the club’s advisor, Mr. Scott didn’t have to think twice about agreeing to help his students start the book club.

“Honestly, I love a good gossip session, and I’m an English teacher,” Scott joked. “So, what’s better than gossiping about books?”

On a more serious note, Scott believes that a book club is a great way for students to learn and express themselves, no matter how much they read on a daily basis.

“I think it’s a chance for students to really dive deep into another world,” Scott said. “I think it’s great for students to see things that they’re not used to seeing, experience different things and also hear the ideas of other students and their take on the literature that we’re reading.”