Boys Basketball End Season With Loss To Waterloo East

Evan+Lampe+23%2C+Thomas+Ksobiech+23%2C+Shamar+Benton+23%2C+and+Trey+Wright+25+listen+to+their+coach+during+a+timeout.+

Lili Moessner

Evan Lampe ’23, Thomas Ksobiech ’23, Shamar Benton ’23, and Trey Wright ’25 listen to their coach during a timeout.

Lauren Koch, Executive Editor

The City High boys basketball team faced the season end last night with a 80-74 loss to Waterloo East in a first round 5A regional. 

Seniors Evan Lampe and Shamar Benton led the Little Hawks, combining for 42 points. Lampe had a season high of 20 points, and also added 13 rebounds. Sophomore Trey Wright also contributed 11, and senior Thomas Ksobiech had 10. 

The Trojans were led by seniors Jamauryus Bradford-Gates and Kewone Jones. Jones had 25 points and 17 rebounds, and Bradford Gates put up 26 points and 8 rebounds. 

The score stayed tight throughout the game, 15-12 first quarter, 34-32 at half, and 52-51 at the end of the third. 

Waterloo East pulled away in the fourth quarter after forcing multiple turnovers, and putting down free throws. The Little Hawks had costly fouls in the final minutes, fouling out Matt Schaeckenbach and Samuel Mbingazo, putting the Trojans in double bonus. 

Waterloo East improved to a 13-8 record while City High dropped to 8-15, to finish their season. Waterloo East will go on to face fourth ranked Valley on February 24th.