5 Songs To Get You Through Heartbreak

Grace Kirschling, Video Editor

High school is a time for growth, change, and preparing teens for the real world. In your teenage years, your emotions are heightened and the smallest change may feel drastic. Failing a test may feel devastating, a break up may feel like the end of the world, but I can promise you that life goes on. Turning to music can impact the mindset immensely in this situation. I present you with my top five songs for a breakup. 

“1 step forward, 3 steps back”SOUR – Olivia Rodrigo

This song starts out as if she is speaking to herself, reflecting on time that has passed with her partner. It seems sad, but it represents progress and growth. Though she questions the relationship, she recognizes her emotions.

Never doubted myself so much, Like, am I pretty? Am I fun, boy? I hate that I give you power over that kind of stuff ‘Cause it’s always one step forward and three steps back”, Rodrigo sings.

Not everyday after the event will you feel sad, or like you are missing your partner. Slowly, day by day, you’ll take a few steps forward, but some days it will feel like you are taking steps backwards. It’s a part of the process. Rome wasn’t built in a day. 

“Exile”Folklore– Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver

This song is a back and forth between what seems to be post relationship point of views. 

“I can see you standing, honey With his arms around your body Laughin’, but the joke’s not funny at all ”, Bon Iver sings.

To me, it feels like he has come to a realization that he made the wrong decision and is full of regret. Taylor Swift then responds by counteracting what he’s saying, and it feels like she has moved on. 

I can see you starin’, honey Like he’s just your understudy, Like you’d get your knuckles bloody for me,’ ‘ Swift sings.

This song makes you wonder how the other person feels, and helps you put aside your own emotions at this time. A breakup goes both ways, whether or not you’d like to believe it. 

“Good News” Circles – Mac Miller

Where do I begin with this song?  You may think I’m crazy for thinking this is a breakup song, but I feel as if it symbolizes waiting for something good to happen to you after a storm. 

I know maybe I’m too late, I could make it there some other time I’ll finally discover that there’s a whole lot more for me waiting,Mac Miller’s lyrics read. 

After a breakup, you may feel like nothing good is coming to you, you can feel flat and broken, but this song has had a tendency to create uplifting and hopeful dreams of something better waiting for you. 

“With a little help from my friends”Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club -The Beatles

Just like the title says, with a little help from your friends, and surrounding yourself with the people and things that make you happy is so crucial in a time like a breakup. The upbeat  instrumentals and positive lyrics still have meaning behind them. 

Would you believe in love at first sight? Yes, I’m certain that it happens all the time, What do you see when you turn out the light? I can’t tell you, but I know it’s mine, Oh, I get by with a little help from my friends,” the lyrics read. 

While coping with a change such as a breakup, it is important to find ways to let your brain release dopamine. This is because when you listen to sad music, it can release chemicals in your brain that help you to cope. Your mind is very powerful, so be kind to it, give it a little dopamine.

“I miss you, I’m sorry”  – minor – Gracie Abrams

Do NOT listen to this song if you are not willing to cry. I say this with my whole heart behind it. Gracie Abrams has a way of bringing you back to reality through her lyrics. 

You said, ‘Forever, ‘ in the end I fought it, Please be honest, are we better for it? Thought you’d hate me, but instead you called, And said, ‘I miss you’, I caught it,” Abrams sings. 

Abrams’ lyrics remind me of the feeling of waiting around, missing the person you once felt so comfortable with. Missing your ex partner is not a crime, it’s an important part of the growth process. While listening to this song, I like to take time and reflect on how I have changed, and how much this person has affected me. It reminds me that it’s okay to miss that person, and it’s okay to grow. 

Breakups are inevitable, but when it happens, it’s important to find support in things around you like music, friends, and activities. Take this time to focus on yourself, work on growth and improvement. It’s wonderful to take steps forward, but remember, it’s okay to take a couple backwards. You can find safety, comfort, acceptance and love in so many other things so release a little dopamine, lean on friends, take time for yourself. You’ve got this.