Little Hawk Journalism Wins All-Iowa News Team of the Year

Little Hawk News, Broadcast, and Yearbook teams were rewarded for their hard work
Little Hawk Journalism members pose with the All-Iowa News Team of the Year banner at the state conference

Last year ended Little Hawk Journalism’s five-year streak of winning All-Iowa News Team of the Year. This year, they restarted that streak at the Iowa High School Press Association State Conference on Thursday. The All-Iowa News Team of the Year award is given out to the top 5 high school news teams in Iowa.

“I’m happy that our hard work from last year is being recognized. [But,] I think there are definitely mistakes in the newspaper last year that are being fixed this year,” Executive and Design Editor Rosangel Flores-Rubio ‘24 said.

The All-Iowa News Team of the Year award is granted based on the news team’s stories and photos from the previous year.

“I’m glad to see more people are motivated about design. I think it’s good to see so many people contributing because design is a huge part of journalism. It’s good to see people recognizing our growth,” Flores-Rubio said.

The Little Hawk’s yearbook team won multiple first and second-place awards for design.

“I’m really proud of the journalists for winning this award because I think it’s a testament to high quality and accurate journalism. It helps our community tell stories about people and rise above some of the clickbait journalism that’s out there these days,” Journalism Advisor Jonathan Rogers said.

With this success guiding them, the Little Hawk Journalism news team is currently working on the December issue of their newspaper, The Little Hawk.